Monday, June 4, 2012

Crumbled Chicken Zucchini Parmesan

I picked up a huge zucchini this weekend at the Farmer's Market and  I mean HUGE!  After thinking on it a bit, I decided to make a Zucchini with chicken Parmesan. 
I started with a homemade red sauce.
Ingredients for red sauce:
1 can of 28 oz plum tomatoes
1/8 cup of olive oil
Pinch of kosher salt
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
2 small chopped sweet onions
3 cloves of chopped garlic
1 tsp sugar
Heat the olive of in a pan.  Once hot, add the onions, garlic, crushed pepper flakes and salt. Cook for about 7 minutes until the onions are translucent then add the can of tomatoes and the sugar.  I broke up my tomatoes with a potato smasher but a spoon will do as well. Let this simmer for a good 30 minutes.
Next I rounded up my supplies to fry my zucchini:
Zucchini
1 cup AP flour
1 cup Crushed Italian bread crumbs
4 eggs
2 tsp heavy cream or milk
Salt
Pepper
Vegetable oil

Slice your Zucchini 1/4 to 1/2 thick, your preference.  Place the flour in a bowl, the bread crumbs in another bowl and put the eggs, cream, salt and pepper in another one.  Whip the egg mixture lightly. I made an assembly line.  Flour, eggs, bread crumbs and then a cookie sheet to lay them on. Dredge the zucchini slices in the flour, shake off excess, then dip them in the egg mixture and follow that with a roll in the bread crumbs.  Place them on the cookie sheet.  Put about a 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a frying pan, let it heat up then fry the Zucchini slices. When you take them out, place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess oil.

Ingredients for chicken burger:
2 chicken breast
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Pinch of Italian seasoning
Next I took two chicken breast and ground them up in my Food Processor. I added a pinch of  Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and browned the meat in a pan.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees at this time.
Ingredients for Parmesan:
Red tomato sauce
Fried Zucchini slices
Crumbled chicken
1 cup of mozzarella cheese
Several slices of Provolone cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup torn fresh Basil

I used a 8X8 pan.  I laid down the red sauce first, then a layer of basil, then the zucchini slices, followed by the crumbled chicken, then slices of Provolone cheese, followed by the Parmesan cheese and finally the Mozzarella cheese. Rinse and repeat until the pan is full. I did 2 full layers and my pan was full. Toss it into the preheated oven.
Bake for 30 minutes and remove.  Let it rest for about 5 minutes because it is HOT!  Serve with bread, a salad and ENJOY!





No comments:

Post a Comment