Saturday, June 2, 2012

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup.. YUM!

I had an urge for Jason's Deli tomato basil soup but sadly, I have recently moved and the nearest one is 2 hours away.  I looked at a couple different recipes and each had something different so I tossed them aside and decided to do my own thing.  I AM SO HAPPY I DID!

Ingredient List:
1 can of diced roasted tomatoes
1 can of Tomato Sauce
1 chopped onion
1 clove of garlic
1 cup of fresh chopped basil
1 tsp of fresh thyme
2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup of chicken broth
1/2 cup of heavy cream
2 tsp butter
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp feta cheese

Step one: Melt butter and add onions, garlic and 1 tsp salt.  Cook until onions are translucent.  
Step two: Combine all the other ingredients EXCEPT the Heavy Cream and feta cheese in a pot.  Add the onions and garlic.  
Step 3: Cook for 25 minutes on medium low heat.  
Step 4:  I used my immersion blend to cream the contents of the pot... skip this step if you prefer chunky soup.
Step 5: Add the 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 1 tbsp feta cheese, stir, cook for a couple more minutes and it is ready to serve.

Place a serving in a bowl.  Sprinkle your choice of cheese on top and  enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment