Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mint infused Vanilla Soda.  No calories!

 

Ingredient List:

3 Vanilla Bean Stalks

1/4 cup fresh Mint

3/4 cup Splenda

4 cups Water

Sparkling Seltzer Water

Ice

 Sprig of Mint

 

So I played in the kitchen quite a bit today. I tried out a homemade Ginger-ale recipe I saw floating around Pinterest.  While I was doing this I decided to experiment and make a vanilla based syrup for a vanilla soda. I was hit with a heavenly idea.... Add MINT! So I trotted out to the garden and snipped 1/4 cup of fresh mint. I pulled out 3 vanilla bean stalks from my secret stash. 

I chopped up the mint and cut the Vanilla stalks in half. I then sliced the vanilla bean stalks. I scraped out the goody from the stalk threw it, the Vanilla stalks and mint into a small saucepan. I added 4 cups of water and 3/4 cup of Splenda.  

I brought it to a boil and let it simmer for a hour. I then turned the heat off and let the vanilla syrup cool. After it cooled, I strained it through cheesecloth into a glass jar for keeping.  Make sure to refrigerate the syrup.

I added 3 Tablespoons of the syrup to 8 oz of sparkling Seltzer water.  You can buy Seltzer water at most grocery stores. I tossed in some ice and a sprig of mint and YUM!  Taste just like creme soda but with no calories! Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment