Saturday, May 26, 2012

Make Your Own Homemade Vanilla Extract... YUM!

    So I came across a recipe to make your own Vanilla Extract on this website  http://makingvanilla.com/
I was intrigued and immediately ordered Vanilla bean stalks from a vendor on Amazon for an amazingly, reasonable price! My Vanilla arrived today, so I hopped in my car and drove out of (dry) city limits to the nearest booze joint and bought a liter of Vodka. 

At home I poured out half of a cup of vodka to give me a little shake room. I then cut 16 vanilla bean stalks in half. I sliced them open, scrapped the yummy out, placed it and the Vanilla stalks into the Vodka.
 I proceeded to shake, shake, shake my vanilla extract to be vodka bottle. 
 I am keeping mine in the pantry where it is nice and dark. It needs to be shaken once a week for 4-6 weeks per the directions. Then shake it when you remember to.  I plan on aging mine for 6 months.  It will be ready just in time for Christmas! I plan on using it for holiday baking and as gifts for friends and family members.  I will post a pic in 6 months once it has aged to perfection.
Now is the time to get your Vanilla Extract going!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment